Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Week in Katie's Life: Tuesday

I started my day outside this morning, and it was so peaceful. I keep wavering back and forth about where I do my devotions. We have such a pretty compound that I hate to not do them outside, but there are so many bugs that I am often driven back to my room. This morning my only visitors were some cheerful black and white birds (too quick for pictures) and some red ants that I think were too tiny to bite. 

I'm not sure if it's because I'm trying to document everything this week, or what, but things are going really slowly in the school department. My poor student was sleepy again today, and we didn't even finish all the subjects we needed to do, but I gave him a break. I know he worked hard, and besides being tired, I think he was a little distracted. Today is his last day of being ten after all. :)

Even though things were really slow, I didn't get any school pictures...there wasn't much to take pictures of, I guess.

This afternoon, however, there was lots going on. First off, I went grocery shopping for birthday food ingredients while my "little bro" was in tennis class. Here are some random shots of the shelves at the Lita grocery store. 
"Oats, peas, beans, and barely grow,"... does anyone else know that song?

And the search for birthday supplies continues!

I took this picture with several friends in mind. ;)

I finished up most of the shopping pretty quick and then ran over to catch the end of the tennis lesson.
AvĂ´ seemed to be having a nice time at the court. 

During the tennis lesson, there were some girls playing nearby. I asked them, "Hau bele photo sa?" (to those of you who actually speak Tetun, please excuse my poor blunders...lol).

They smiled shyly and replied, "Bele, bele."
So here they are!

Aren't they precious? I love their smiles, and the amount of personality I was able to see in them in just a few short minutes. They started getting really excited when I showed them their pictures and told them, "muito bonita," (Portuguese...or something like it...lol).

Meanwhile, someone was having lots of fun on the court. 

After a few pictures I came back to the girlies. I just happened to have three fruit leathers in my purse (thanks mom!). They said, "obrigada," right away, and soon I heard one whisper, "bele han?"
"Bele, bele!" I smiled, and they ripped off the wrappers just like that!
She has hers in her hand. I think she got a bit embarrassed when I started taking a picture of her eating.

But these two weren't embarrassed!

After tennis I dropped Miguel off at the pastor's house to have a final baptismal meeting (Miguel's getting baptized this Sabbath!!! Praise the Lord! I'm so very excited!). Then I ran around and got a few more groceries, and then zipped home to make the icing for his birthday cake (someone's got a special day tomorrow!).

Here is my prep picture. 

My fancy recipe (yes, it did go through the laundry...oops!)...

and my fancy measuring utensils!
 I think the class holds approximately one cup-ish, the bigger spoon could be about a tablespoon, and the small spoon had to suffice as a teaspoon. These are what I use to measure every time I cook. Mostly though, I just eye-ball it.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to take a pic of the finished product, but if I remember, I'll show you tomorrow. I was in such a hurry (had to pick up Miguel from the pastor's house), that I just made it all up, shoved it in the fridge, and ran out the door. I was still licking my fingers and brushing carob off my shirt as I was driving...lol!

So, I picked Miguel up, brought him home, he swallowed his supper, and then we hopped in the car to go to the health meetings. 
There was a tiny but very lovely sunset shortly after we arrived.

 On my way to the tent where the meetings were, I stopped to see the children's meeting. 
 They sure seemed to have a lot of fun singing songs together! We could hear their sweet voices every now and then from the tent. 

Today was day three of the health seminar. On day one Dr. Szamko mostly covered the common cold/flu, day two (which I missed) was about sinusitis, and today was about sore throat. 


At the end of each meeting there is a demonstration about how to use home remedies to treat the ailment covered in the meeting. Today we demonstrated a hot compress for the throat to help relieve congestion and help that annoying scratchy feeling. 

 We had lots of fun!

Well, that was basically it. I had planned on baking the cake to go with the icing this evening, but I got home from the health seminar to find that we didn't have any flour. Oh, well. I guess I'll just add it to my list of things to do tomorrow. :) 

P.S. Please excuse the poor image quality. I'm using the camera on my phone, and I'm  not the best photographer...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks like I should have sent you a measuring cup and spoons! Hope the icing and cake turned out :) The girls are sweet. Thanks for sharing your day. Love you!