Sunday, September 2, 2012

Laundry


So far, the latest adventure has been my laundry. The Grilo’s have a maid who cleans their house and does their laundry. You put your laundry in a basket; the lady comes, takes the basket, washes the clothes, and supposedly returns all the clothes. Supposedly. Oh, and by the way, she doesn’t speak English or Portuguese, only Tetum.
Shortly after I arrived, I turned in my first load of laundry. I sent in all the clothes I had travelled in: my new jacket, my nice black skirt, everything. My new work out shorts and my favourite Canadian t-shirt also went in the pile. A fair amount of my meager wardrobe, not to mention a large portion of unmentionables, was taken away by the cleaning lady, never to be seen again. At least not yet, I haven’t completely given up hope. Paulo and Ruth are trying their best to get to the bottom of this bottomless laundry chute, and I’m praying that they’ll be successful. As for now, Timor Plaza, here I come! If only Timor Plaza was an American mall with American quality clothes…

2 comments:

  1. My guess is that she is not use to washing more delicate things and perhaps wrecked them in the wash and is too embarrassed to confess. I hope I'm wrong but you may want to do your delicate items by hand in the future. Sad about the jacket and skirt :-( You looked so lovely in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cleaning lady does laundry for several other people as well, so Paulo and Ruth think that she may be getting the laundry mixed up and be returning our clothes to another house. I sure hope that is the case.

      Delete