Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Fish List

I think I've mentioned my love of Latin on this blog before, and now you're going to get another dose of it. For the past several weeks I've been itching to get my hands on a reef fish identification book, and I finally found one. Unfortunately, it only has fish, so I can't identify any of the other miraculous things I've been seeing, but I'm glad that at least I can start a fish list. Oh, and sorry that there aren't any pictures, but the internet just isn't fast enough for that. 

Pomacanthus imperator (juvenile)-emperor angel fish
Gymnothorax eurostus - stout moray eel
Melichthys indicus - Indian trigger fish
Melichthys niger - black trigger fish
Aulostomus chinensis - trumpet fish
Parupeneus macronemua - long barbel goatfish 
Onigocia spinosa - midget flat head
Scorpaenopsis venosa -  raggy scorpionfish
Parascorpaena mossambica (what I saw looked like this one, but if it is this one, it is a little bit out of its range of habitat) - Mozambique scorpionfish 
Pteroia volitans - common lion fish
Antennarius pictus - painted frogfish 
Sargocentron spiniferum - sabre squirrelfish 
Thalassoma purpureum - surge wrasse
Thalassoma trilobatum - ladder wrasse
Scarus rivalatus - rivulated parrotfish 
Pseudanthias smithvanizi - princess anthias
Premnas biaculeatus - spinecheek anemonefish
Amphiprion perideraion - pink anemonefish
Zanclus cornutus - moorish idol
Forcipiger flavissimus - longnose butterflyfish
Heniochus acuminatus - longfin bannerfish
Chaetodon oxycephalus - spot-nape butterflyfish

Of course, I've seen many more than just these. I've seen fish from the serranidae family, other amphiprions (they all look like Nemo lol), and bunches of other identifiable things. It's been so much fun. Yesterday I spent about five hours in the ocean looking at fish and shells and corals. I think I'm going to live underwater when I get to heaven, at least for a little while. :) 


1 comment:

  1. A chip off the old block, I'd say, or, like Father like daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete